Changing the extension of the dafa.dat file is an essential part of the repair process. If you can’t see the extension on files, you can disable the “Hide extension on known file types” options in Organize > Folder and Search Options.
Procedure for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & 2008 R2
- In Windows Explorer, in the Organize Menu, select the “Folder and Search Options”
- The Folder Options window opens, select the View Tab and then find and disable (uncheck) the Hide extensions for know file types
- Select OK. Extension for the files should be visible and allow for easy editing.
Procedure for Windows 8 & 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 & 2012 R2
- In Windows Explorer, click on View > Options, and select Change Folder and Search Options.
- Click on the View tab.
- Uncheck Hide extensions for know file types
- Click OK to save your settings.
- File Extensions will now display for easy editing.