Microsoft has a recommended process to complete an in-place upgrade of MSDE 2000 to SQL Server 2008 R2 Express in their SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Technical Reference Guide.
That process requires the installed instance of MSDE 2000 have Service Pack 4 applied. The MSDE installation provided with certain builds of GlasPacLX is MSDE 2000 with Service Pack 3 or Service Pack 3a.
The following is a detailed walkthrough of the upgrade process from MSDE 2000 with Service Pack 3 to MSDE 2000 with Service Pack 4, and then to SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Service Pack 1.
Please note that there have been several significant changes to the limitations and feature sets that come with SQL Server 2008 R2 Express. All of these changes have been outlined in the aforementioned SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Technical Reference Guide, but the key ones are listed below:
- MSDE incorporates a concurrent workload governor that is no longer used in SQL Server Express
- MSDE has a database size limitation of 2GB; while, SQL Server Express increases that limit to 4GB
- MSDE limits the maximum amount of RAM allocated to 2GB; while, SQL Server Express decreases that limit to 1GB
- MSDE can utilize 2 processors when running on a Windows Server operating system; while, SQL Server Express can only utilize 1 processor
- MSDE includes a SQL Server Agent that is no longer included with SQL Server Express
As always, make sure that a complete backup of the server has been made and verified before starting any of the instructions provided in this document.
In order to successfully upgrade an instance of MSDE 2000 Service Pack 3 to SQL Server 2008 R2, the following minimum system requirements must be met for SQL Server 2008 R2 Express:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2003 R2 or newer
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Download: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=22)
- Microsoft Windows Installer 4.5 or later (Download: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8483)
- MSDE 2000 Release A Installer (Download: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=22661)
- MSDE 2000 Service Pack 4 Installer (Download: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=18290)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Service Pack 1 Installer without Tools or Advanced Services (Download: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26729)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 or later
- Processor speed of 1.0GHz or faster
- Minimum of 256MB of available memory for 32-bit, 512MB for 64-bit
- Minimum of 1GB of available hard drive space plus additional space for the databases to be upgraded
Please note that Windows 2000 Professional or Windows 2000 Server running at any Service Pack level are no longer supported by SQL Server 2008 R2 in any fashion. If the workstation or server running MSDE is still running Windows 2000, then the server must be upgraded to Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2003 R2 (or later) before an instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 Express can be installed or upgraded to.
For more information, see: