After the PC has rebooted from installing the service pack, it may come Halt at the following error:
Fatal error C0000034 applying update operation 282 of . . .
At this point, the recovery points will have been cleared and rebooting will only bring the OS back to a screen displaying the above error message. To recover from this error, do one of the following:
- Reboot the PC into the Advance Boot options screen using F8, then select Repair
- Boot from the Windows 7 install media and select Launch Startup Repair
- In either case cancel out of the automatic repair, and tell the system not to report the problem to Microsoft. Click the link to “View advanced options for recovery and support”.
- Click the Command Prompt from the list.
- Open notepad by typing notepad.exe within the command prompt.
- Click File > Open
- Change the file type from .txt to All Files
- Browse to the Windows installation drive (C: usually, but if booting from DVD, the drive letter may be different)
- Open the <drive_letter>:\Windows\winsxs folder
- Make a copy of the xml file before making any changes to it
- Open xml, the file may take a few seconds to load as it is large
- Using CTRL + F to search, enter the following exactly:
- Select and delete the following entry from the file:
<MoveFile source="\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames\e56db1db48d4cb0199440000b01de419._0000000000000000.cdf-ms" destination="\SystemRoot\WinSxS\FileMa\_0000000000000000.cdf-ms"/>
- Save the file, close notepad, close the command prompt, and restart the computer.
- Select Normal Startup if the boot menu is displayed, and allow the computer to boot normally.
For some people this process reverts everything and cancels the service pack installation. For others, the service pack installation completes.